From: Jake Voytko (jakevoytko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-13 11:19:27

On 8/12/07, Stjepan Rajko <stipe_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 8/12/07, Jake Voytko <jakevoytko_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I meant 0 unsigned - I think I was getting a warning if I just put
> down a zero because it was being compared with size_t or something
> like that. Is there a problem I am not seeing?

No, the problem is on my end. Sorry.

> > - You should provide examples of compiling/linking your program for
> > those who do not exclusively use bjam.
>
> [cringe]... OK :-)

I know that it is painful, but when I first started using Boost a few
years back, one of the areas that gave me the most pain up-front were
figuring out which files to link to from MSVC and GCC for projects
that were required to be compiled from the command line of both
compilers. I still remember the frustration of vague link errors, and
surely neophyte users would appreciate the guidance.

> The "function" component does something like this. It can take
> anything that can be stored in a Boost.Function, and convert it into a
> filter so that the input to the filter is sent as an argument, and
> whatever the function returns is sent out as the output. I just
> looked at the docs for function and realized that they aren't clear at
> all. No wonder it went unnoticed :-)

Ah.. that is good to know. Thank you :)

> > ***3.0 Sample program***
> > I tried to make a sample program, but ran into problems. gcc threw
> > errors when I attempted to connect() two components, saying "error:
> > invalid use of undefined type 'struct
> > boost::dataflow::extension::signals::get_slot<(void ()(const
> > std::string&), ....>". I'm not going to ask you to debug it, and I got
> > a pretty good feel for everything by writing the code.
> >

> Actually, I would really love to look at your code, because it would
> give me a glimpse of how you wanted to use the library (it would be
> especially useful to see it since it didn't let you use it that way).
> It would help me make the lib more user friendly and/or find some bugs
> that may have been preventing you from using the lib in what should
> have been a legal way.

I had tried to start from scratch, but I only had a few hours, so I'm
guessing the mitigating factor was something simple that I overlooked
due to the combination of my unfamiliarity with the library and my
lack of time. My laptop isn't with me at the moment, but when I get
back to it later today, I will be sure to email you the code.

> Thank you so very much for taking the time to check out the lib and
> write up your feedback! It is very insightful and helpful.

If you need someone to look at your library/docs after GSoC, don't
hesitate to send me an email.

-Jake