From: manphiz (manphiz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-15 10:08:06

Doug Gregor wrote:
> The original idea with a variadic-templates printf() was that it
> could replace the C printf by providing a superset of the C printf
> behavior under the same interface. Basically, it means that existing
> uses of printf(), when compiled with the new variadic-templates---
> based printf, would get run-time checking of the format specifier
> "for free."
>
> I don't know if that's particularly useful or not. At the time, it
> was more like a flagship "hey, look what variadic templates can do!"
> idea.

Now variadic-templates together with overloading may rescue variadic
functions from lacking of type safety. There may be some other areas
waiting to be exploited.

> I don't believe this is being discussed. It's too late for such a
> change to get into C++0x, so the right answer is probably to revisit
> Boost.Format to determine whether we can now do something better.

It's a misfortune to miss the train to C++0x, but it'll be a grief if
something immature gets into the standard. So let Boost.Format evolve :)