From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-17 14:34:05

on Fri Aug 17 2007, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld-AT-sympatico.ca> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:

>>> QMTest would typically be used to drive individual 'test runs',
>>> presumably only over local networks,
>>
>> Why presumably? Is there a limitation that prevents it from going out
>> to the web?
>
> No. I'm just speculating what users might do with it.
>
>>> and can then be used during the aggregation of the results of such
>>> test runs into test reports.
>>>
>>> As such, it is complementary to the facilities offered by buildbot.
>>
>> Can you explain why it makes sense to use two systems?
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Automating builds
> (scheduling build processes triggered by some events) is quite
> different from managing test databases.

So QMTest doesn't schedule build/test processes? It's just a database
manager?

>> Still looking for that.
>
> Yes, I realize that. But as I indicated earlier, I'm not convinced
> QMTest is a good tool to schedule / drive that.

I meant I want some kind of analogous statement about a way we could
use it that you *are* convinced of.

> I'd use a buildbot setup for that. (Of course you may argue that it
> is hard to convince potential testers to install yet another piece
> of software, but that's a different argument, I think.)

I'm not worried about that at this point.

>>> I'm not sure. boost.build would need to be extended to allow
>>> QMTest to gain access to the database structure (the database
>>> already exists, conceptually, in terms of the directory layout...).
>>> Volodya ?
>>
>> There's no a priori reason that Boost.Build needs to maintain the test
>> database, is there?
>
> No.

So what are the alternatives to that arrangement?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting