From: Darren Garvey (lists.drrngrvy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-19 16:26:34

On 19/08/07, Martin Wille <mw8329_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Darren Garvey wrote:
> > On 19/08/07, Martin Wille wrote:
>
> > Well two protocols can't ever be used in the same program,
>
> Why is that? Can't I have a thread answering fcgi requests while another
> one answers scgi requests? Or even a single thread that can answer
> either sort of request?

Hmm, well the program has to bind to port 0, where connections are connected
to. I have looked into this and as far as I can tell, there is no efficient
way to differentiate between an SCGI request and a FastCGI one: it is
possible, but you would have a noticeable overhead to do this.

The only situation I can think of where you would have a program accepting
with both protocols is when you have a remote SCGI/FastCGI daemon handling
requests from different HTTP servers. It doesn't seem sensible to use both
protocols from a single server, as choosing one over the other is, IIUC, a
configuration issue. In the remote daemon case, why would you not just
recompile the program twice, one daemon for each protocol?

Regards,
Darren