From: Joseph Gauterin (joseph.gauterin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-20 07:31:38

> BOOST_TYPEOF reverts to native typeof on all compilers that support
> it. In addition, BOOST_TYPEOF is supported 'natively' on all VC
> compilers (ranging from VC6.0 to VC8.0), by utilizing a bug in the
> compiler. No registration is needed if you only target these
> platforms, and the compile time overhead on these compilers is
> negligible.

It's my understanding that as of MSVC8.0 the MS compiler no longer
contains the bug used to implement typeof, so we don't get native
typeof. I'm unsure about the status of the bug or native typeof in the
next Visual Studio (Orcas?).

There may be considerable scope for improving this library if native
typeof and variadic macros make it into C++0x.