From: Yuval Ronen (ronen_yuval_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-22 13:07:09

Howard Hinnant wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Yuval Ronen wrote:
>
>> Howard Hinnant wrote:

>>> How would wake from wait be handled? I.e. what mutex (facade) would
>>> it use to lock with? The last one set may not correspond to the
>>> proper one on wake.
>> It would lock the same mutex it unlocked upon entering wait().
>
> Could you prototype or sketch this out? Sorry, I'm not following.

Perhaps some code will help me clarify my ideas (taking your advice :) ):

template <class Mutex>
class condition
{
     typedef Mutes mutex_type;
     mutex_type *m_mutex;

public:
     condition() : m_mutex(NULL) { }
     explicit condition(mutex_type &a_mutex) : m_mutex(&a_mutex) { }

     void set_mutex(mutex_type &a_mutex) { m_mutex = &a_mutex; }

     void wait()
     {
         assert(m_mutex); // overhead only in debug builds
         do_wait(*m_mutex);
     }
};

Of course that's a very partial implementation, but I hope it's enough
to convey my intent.