From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-22 20:31:50

Rene Rivera wrote:

> Beman Dawes wrote:
>> The Development and Release Practices trac wiki page has been updated.
>> See http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ImprovingPractices
>
> Is there a rationale for the release structure, and specifically of the
> location of the tags:
>
> svn/boost/
> release/
> next/ (boost-root)
> RC_1_35_0_n/ (boost-root)
> 1_35_0/ (boost-root)
>
> Instead of:
>
> svn/boost/
> release/ (boost-root)
> tags/
> RC_1_35_0_n/ (boost-root)
> 1_35_0/ (boost-root)

I considered svn/boost/release/(boost-root) but was afraid it would be
confused with the most recent release, since there is nothing to
identify it as anything else.

> ??
>
> If the reason is to make the permissions easier to manage.

That's one part of the rationale. I also wanted a focal point for casual
browers to find release related trees.

> Did you consider a more traditional svn structure of:
>
> svn/boost/release/
> trunk/ (boost-root)
> tags/
> RC_1_35_0_n/ (boost-root)
> 1_35_0/ (boost-root)

No, that approach didn't occur to me. I think I like it slightly better
than my proposal.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

--Beman