From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-23 12:30:45

John Maddock wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>> Under Rene's scheme there are two trunk's - the development trunk and
>> the release trunk. Several people commented that they liked the
>> tradition "trunk" name rather than the "next" name I proposed. I
>> agreed
>> with them, as I was finding the "next" name awkward.
>>
>> Do you have a name you would find less confusing?
>
> How about the old favorites "stable" and "development"; I like the idea of
> putting all releases (and candidates) under /release/ very much, but I too
> would find having two "trunk" directories rather confusing.

AFAICT some people seem to have problems realizing that "trunk" is
orthogonal to "stable", "development", "release", etc. Some definitions
as I see them:

trunk
   Ongoing work of a product, projects, library, etc.

tags
   Snapshots of previous work of a product, etc.

branches
   Ongoing work which is intended for eventual merge to trunk.

And the orthogonal part would be what a product is. Boost, being a
collective work, has both "products" and "libraries". I see the Boost
products as:

stable/release
   The collection of accepted libraries, docs, and tools that are put
out as releases as a single package.

unstable/development
   The collection of accepted libraries, docs, and tools that are
experimental or otherwise not ready for public use.

sandbox
   Individual libraries that have not been accepted.

HTH

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything