From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-23 14:32:10

Beman Dawes wrote:
> So after 1.35.0 ships, the tree would look like:
>
> svn/boost/
>
> trunk/
>
> tags/
> release/
> 1_34_1
> 1_35_0
> branches/
> 1_36_0
> libraries/
> python/
> serialization/

Even though I prefer such top-down arrangements, that makes testing a
bit harder. On each release we would need to update scripts and/or
procedures to start testing 'svn/boost/branches/1_36_0' instead of
'svn/boost/branches/1_35_0'. Much easier would be to have
'svn/boost/branches/release'. The advantages:

* Only one command for the release manager, an "svn copy" from
"svn/branches/release" to "svn/tags/release/1_35_0".

* No change to testing, and hence no interruption of testing.

I don't see the problem with having multiple subdir with the same name,
after all that's the point of such hierarchical namespace organization.
Note, I'm only trying to find an arrangement that we can work with
almost immediately per Beman's goal of getting a new release procedure
going with minimal effort. We can always change it if we find it's less
than ideal.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything