From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-23 16:19:56

Rene Rivera wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> I have just run this:
>>
>> svn diff
>> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/RC_1_34_0/boost/tools/build/v2
>> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/tools/build/v2 > RC_HEAD.diff
>>
>> and it took about 13 mins. On another machine (with another network), it
>> took 15 mins. I've asked for confirmation on IRC, and two people are at
>> 11 and 13 mins as a write this (and still running).
>>
>> Is there some network or setup issue with SVN server? Maybe the
>> apache connection limit is set too low?
>
> From observing the CPU usage on the server while this was going on. It
> seems diff is a very expensive SVN operation. The httpd processes doing
> the diffs ran at 100% for most of the time.

Technically, diff should be:
        1. Sending path A to client.
        2. Sending binary delta from path A to path B to client.

Both (1) and (2) should be rather fast, and (2) is what svn does all the time --
including during update or switch from path A to path B. I would suspect
misconfiguration, not a genuine lack of processing resources.

- Volodya