From: eg (egoots_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-23 17:07:37

Frank Birbacher wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have had a hard time trying to figure out why my windows port of a
> file transfer program would not write anything to its files. I'm using
> boost svn, msvc 8 express, platform sdk from msvc 2003, and windows xp
> (SP2).
>
> I discovered that the file_descriptor device of the IOStreams library
> does not check for SetFilePointer failure as Microsoft recommands. This
> led to always throwing bad_seek. But the write function on the
> std::ostream& does neither return with the failbit set nor does it
> propagate the exception.
>
> Anyway the attached patch on the boost svn should fix this problem. I
> added a second check for failure as the MSDN (
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/fileio/fs/setfilepointer.asp ,
> see "Return Value") suggests. It works for me. Here is where I started:

This looks similar to:
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/856

If so, perhaps you can attach you patch to this bug.

Is the second part of your patch related to the following bug entry?
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/586

The bigger concern is that nobody seems to be doing any maintenance work
on iostreams... (at least it seems that way to me).