From: Michael Marcin (mmarcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-24 15:04:08

Sohail Somani wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> If anyone can't wait for a Boost threadsafe
>> singleton, they can substitute my trivial one
>> for one of their own choosing.
>>
> Thats a step in the right direction!
>
>> That is, I'm offloading this issue to anyone else
>>
> How about a different way to think about the problem?
>
> As I recall, the problem with the thread-safety of the serialization
> library relates to setting up the type info maps. If you could somehow
> create a way that one could invoke the setup of this map perhaps by a
> function call, that would solve the problem, yes?

That sounds good to me. If the serialization library is doing something
non-trivial at static initialization or destruction time than it can't
be used in many embedded environments that either don't perform static
destruction or require a explicit initialization of their runtime
library, free store/heap, etc.

I realize this probably isn't even a concern to most people but it is
for me because I like using Boost libraries in my embedded development
instead of rolling my own solutions.

Selfishly yours,

Michael Marcin