From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-27 17:26:50

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Sun Aug 26 2007, "Peter Dimov" <pdimov-AT-pdimov.com> wrote:
>
>> Sebastian Redl:

>>> Maybe someone will find this little tutorial useful.
>> I for one did, thanks for that. But... what a pain! How do people manage to
>> get work done at all? Isn't there a more streamlined way to do
>>
>> 1. Create branch
>> 2. Work
>> 3. Merge from trunk
>> 4. Work
>> 5. Merge from trunk
>> 6. Test branch
>> 7. Merge to trunk
>>
>> without remembering repository paths and revisions?
>
> Yes: http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py
>
> We just have to mandate that everyone use it.

If I use it on branches where I'm the maintainer, does svnmerge.py work
OK for those branches even if others are not using it for other
branches? Or do all Boost developers have to do all merges via svnmerge.py.

On my branches, should the rule-of-thumb be "never use the raw SVN merge
command or GUI equivalents; always use svnmerge.py"?

> The next version of
> Subversion will make it unnecessary
> (http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2007/05/the_subversion__1.html)

It sounds as if we need a Wiki page describing Boost's preferred (and in
some cases mandated) SVN procedures.

Any volunteers to write and maintain such a page?

--Beman