From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-29 10:44:37

on Wed Aug 29 2007, Frank Birbacher <bloodymir.crap-AT-gmx.net> wrote:

> David Abrahams schrieb:
>> If you've been on a branch for a while, merge trunk -> branch and test
>> locally before merging branch -> trunk, so the chance of new
>> developments breaking the build when you merge to trunk is minimized.
>
> Now, with all the merging one important information is missing. The part
> "merge your branch to the trunk" does not cover all neccessary
> information: a merge envolves _three_ "points" (point = location with

<snip correct but complex and arguably obsolete procedure>

> To K.I.S.S. one should not merge the trunk changes into his
> development branch. I agree on this unless we employ svnmerge (
> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SvnMerge ). And I actually would
> prefer svnmerge which is likely to become part of svn in release
> 1.5.

Yeah, I've been repeatedly suggesting we use it so we don't have to
deal with the complexities of the three-point merge. CVS actually has
basically the same model, but even for those of us who are comfortable
with branching and merging it's too painful.

So if we use svnmerge we can just do what I wrote above.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting