From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-29 13:39:21

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Wed Aug 29 2007, "Paul A Bristow" <pbristow-AT-hetp.u-net.com>
> wrote:
>

>> PS We still need to resolve WHY the original submission rules said
>> "No uppercase".
>>
>> "These requirements ensure file and directory names are relatively
>> portable"
>>
>> Are those requirements still valid on some platform?
>
> They are, on case-insensitive filesystems. If you make a file called
> "Axe.hpp" and then do #include "axe.hpp", it will work on your Windows
> machine under VC++, but will break when someone compiles on linux.

Right, and we've already had one problem of this kind when someone tried to
build the Math Toolkit docs on Linux.

There's also the issue of what happens if you move files from a
case-insensitive system (CD-ROM?) to a case-sensitive one.

Life is just much easier when the rule is followed, though I accept it's
probably way too late for all those "Jamfiles".

John.