From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-31 13:09:02

On Aug 31, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Sohail Somani wrote:

> Doug Gregor wrote:
>> Apple has begun development of "Clang", which aims to be a high-
>> quality C/C++ parser and compiler.
> Finally! What guarantees on portability are we expecting? Apple =
> ppc or
> x86. I recall that llvm handles multiple targets so perhaps that is my
> answer.

 From the LLVM home page, "[LLVM has] back-ends for the X86, X86-64,
PowerPC 32/64, ARM, Thumb, IA-64, Alpha and SPARC architectures, a
back-end which emits portable C code, and a Just-In-Time compiler for
X86, X86-64, PowerPC 32/64 processors."

That's reasonably portable, and of course the more involved the
community is in this project, the more likely that Clang will work
well on all of these architectures.

> Also, what exactly does open source mean here?

It's the LLVM license, which is a BSD-like license. You can check it
out here:

        http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/trunk/LICENSE.TXT

        - Doug