From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-31 19:51:28

We've talked about this problem off and on for years now, and I'm
wondering if we can finally solve it. Many compilers supply built-in
integer types beyond (unsigned) long int, but someone told me that
there's no guarantee that those super-long types are suitable for use in
a value-based template parameter. I'm wondering if we can develop
typedefs, maybe in "boost/cstdint.hpp", that describe the largest
suitable signed and unsigned built-in integer types that can be used as
value-based template parameters. On basically-standard compilers, this
would be "unsigned long" and "long". I'm thinking that we could default
to boost::[u]intmax_t, and #case it for particular compilers after they
choke on not being able to use "long long" or "__int64_t" in a template.
  (We could test in advance to minimize hardship.)

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie