From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-19 14:40:59

on Wed Sep 19 2007, Vladimir Prus <ghost-AT-cs.msu.su> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:

>>> "Probably"?
>>
>> Uh, yeah. Sarcasm isn't really necessary here.
>
> There's no sarcasm. "Probably" also implies "not sure",
> and I naturally wonder whether you indeed unsure
> the proposed change will help with incremental testing.

As with any other change, you don't know for sure until you try it.

>>> The only problem with incremental testing now I know
>>> are stale results, which is quite separate.
>>
>> The time it takes to run the tests is always a factor.
>> Representing and evaluating all the dependencies in the project
>> each time is expensive.
>
> Unless you test a given library against pre-build pre-installed
> Boost, I don't see how this organization cuts down on any resources.

I don't understand what this has to do with pre-built/installed Boost.

Given an explicit representation of library dependencies we can, based
on the directories containing changed files, quickly compute all the
libraries whose tests need to be run and avoid evaluating the Jamfiles
of other libraries.

>>> I worry that yet another round of "how to place files in SVN" discussion,
>>> will distract from real problems.
>>
>> Fair enough. I'm not claiming this is urgent or even necessarily a
>> problem-solver, so if there are more important things to discuss,
>> please raise them and re-focus our attention.
>
> Ok, for a start:
>
> 1. No release manager(s) is appointed.
> 2. No schedule, and no list of goals is published
> for 1.35.

Please start new threads for these things if you want them to get
attention.

Mostly because Beman demanded it after we settled the (not yet
published) release procedure, I am going to take ultimate
responsibility for management of the release, with help from Doug
Gregor and Jeff Garland and probably a few other people. We had at
least one very promising volunteer to whom I haven't had a chance to
respond (if you're listening, we're interested -- sorry about the
silence).

I'm going to try to post the plan Real Soon Now, but at the moment
other things are pressing.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting