From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-21 01:03:32

Beman Dawes wrote:

> The window isn't closed for run-of-the-mill code fixes, but it is closed
> for changes that break other libraries. Breaking changes should be made
> on a branch. The other affected libraries should also be changed on that
> branch, and then when local testing looks good the set can be committed
> to trunk as a single change. That way the trunk remains stable.

Done.

> > There are no changes to the code, just superficial header moves.
>
> From the standpoint of release management, something that causes a
> platform's error count to jump from 16 to 154 doesn't look "superficial".

Understood. I should have been more careful.

> The point isn't to shutdown major changes to libraries, but rather to
> use the cheap copies (aka branching) of subversion to keep the trunk
> stable yet allow change to happen, albeit on a branch.

Ok.

> It is to be expected that some changes will be made to the trunk that
> unexpectedly break other libraries. Part of the rationale for running
> the smoke tests is to be able to quickly fix (or revert, if appropriate)
> such breakages.
>
> There have been a couple of such cases in the past week where changes
> broke far more than expected. But I tried not to growl too much at those
> developers because they quickly fixed whatever the problem was.
>
> And there have been a couple of cases where changes broke far more than
> expected, and the developers didn't seem to be reacting quickly to the
> breakage. Those are the cases where reverting seemed appropriate, so
> overall progress could continue while the specific issues got
> straightened out.

I'm hoping my revert a few hours ago was quick enough. I understand the
frustration and I can assure you that I won't commit the same mistake
again. At any rate, I've done everything on a branch and tests are
looking good on all libraries that use Fusion (testing done locally).

Now, I need to know what to do next. I'd really rather have this in
but I can understand if it's no longer possible at this point.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com