From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-21 07:53:19

Deane Yang wrote:
> Joel de Guzman wrote:
>
>> Tom Brinkman wrote:
>>
>>> If you can get a cross platform gui into boost, that meets the standards of
>>> boost developers, youll be famous. Many have started and quit after
>>> decieding it was to daunting of a task. A modern c++ GUI is probably #1 on
>>> the most wanted/needed libraries, IMO,
>>>
>> I think the basic problem is that if you ask 10 developers
>> what a GUI library should look like, you'll get 11 answers :-P
>>

> Only 11?

So you should not ask that question. Just make your design decisions,
or even better the library. Then you can ask 10 developers if they want
it. Only two answers are possible and all the fame may be well
deserved ;-)

Seriously, has there ever been a real proposal for GUI before? All I
have seen are never ending questionnaires on how it should be built.
These usually end up in discussions on styles, cascading style sheets,
color models, how the point class shall be defined, XML and Unicode
support, etc, etc.... No perfect design exist. And there always seems
to be something that has to be available before GUI can be started.
Someone have to make some calls on this. Bridging existing frameworks
seems like one possible direction to go.

Maybe if someone came up with a real, far from perfect, but decent
proposal, 11 out of 10 would turn out to be fairly forgiving for a
not-so-perfect-in-my-eyes design. As pointed out, it is about time
something gets moving toward standardization on GUI. Boost.GUI would be
a good start.

--
Bjørn