From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-23 16:05:05

Jurko Gospodnetic' wrote:
> Hi.
>
>> The topic of what gets built "out of the box" came up again, this time
>> on IRC. Some background... In the past we have gone the route of
>> building as much as possible when users do the manual Boost
>> build+install. That approach has gotten us a rather distressing
>> reputation of building being a real pain, mostly because it takes a long
>> time to build.
>
> Ok, it does take about 10-15 minutes to build everything on our
> machines here (Windows XP). But I personally like the simple way of
> building 'everything'.

Hm...

[...]
> Anyway... I would really hate it if someone decided to change the
> name mangling for different build types or if it became difficult to
> tell boost build to 'build all variants as it did before by default'.

It depends on what you consider difficult. It would mean specifying
something like:

   bjam release debug link=static ... etc.

But perhaps we can make this much simpler. How about adding an option
that selects how much is built with some easy to remember names?
Something like:

   --build-type=minimal (default single variant)

   --build-type=complete (as many variants as possible)

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything