From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-02 04:05:38

"Phil Endecott" <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi Anthony,
>
> Anthony Williams wrote:

> [answering your other mail first]
>> By "POSIX-compatible" do you mean "works with and uses pthread_cancel", or do
>> you mean something else? It's the interaction with pthread_cancel that caused
>> the biggest sticking point, as I understand things.
>
> Sorry, I was being inaccurate. What I should have said was that I'm
> writing Linux code, so I need a library that will work on Linux. Being
> implemented on top of the pthreads functions would be one solution.
> No, I don't need to mix C++ destructors and C pthread_cleanup. Of
> course a cross-platform solution would be essential for a standard
> library and very highly desirable for a Boost library, but I need a
> solution "real soon now"! Hence my enquiry about any other libraries
> that people might know about.

I added better cancellation to boost thread yesterday. condition
wait+timed_wait, thread join+timed_join, sleep and
this_thread::cancellation_point are now all cancellation points on pthreads
and windows. This uses a thread_cancelled exception, and does not interoperate
with pthread_cancel.

> Clearly there are various choices about how cancellation should behave,
> with various pros and cons, and many questions about the practicalities
> of implementation on different platforms. Certainly the standards
> committee have investigated these issues. I would very much like to
> have some insight into what they discovered during their
> investigations, leading them to their decision to not offer any sort of cancellation.

N2420 (http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2420.pdf)
covers some of the relevant ground --- it's the minutes of the POSIX/C++
liaison committee.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams