From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-02 12:20:18

Anthony Williams:

> Also, Howard pointed out that the C ABI for one of the Apple compilers
> doesn't
> handle C++ exceptions in a way that would allow cancellation implemented
> as a
> C++ exception to call pthread cleanup handlers in a C stack frame.
> Breaking
> the C ABI to support the C++ thread library isn't nice.

I believe that Solaris does manage to do a C++ friendly unwind without
breaking its C ABI. It apparently does so by looking at the linked list
created by pthread_cleanup_push and invoking the registered functions and
the destructors in the proper order. I could be wrong though. The source
code of the C++ friendly unwind doesn't seem to be available.