From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-05 13:08:19

on Wed Oct 31 2007, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=severity&milestone=Boost+1.35.0&order=priority
>> shows all the tickets that have been assigned to the 1.35.0
>> milestone. Does this list have any meaning? In other words, are we
>> actually intending to address all of these problems for 1.35, and put
>> off other tickets for 1.35.1 or 1.36.0?
>>
>> IMO getting this list sorted out and handling the tickets one-by-one
>> is the most productive way to get us from here to a successful
>> release of 1.35.0. That may mean a number of new tickets need to be
>> added (probably at least one for each major failure we're seeing in
>> http://engineering.meta-comm.com/boost-regression/1_34_1/developer/issues.html
>> and possibly others) and it will require part of the release team to
>> triage the whole list of tickets assigned to 1.35.0 and make some
>> decisions to put certain tickets off for later.
>
> My original plan was to triage all outstanding trac tickets to identify
> those that really are important for 1.35.0, and then start pestering the
> owners.
>
> But so far I've spent all my time on test issues and failures.
>
> If you want to start triaging tickets and pestering people, feel free to
> go ahead and start that effort.

No, that wasn't my point. My point was that we should focus on making
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=severity&milestone=Boost+1.35.0&order=priority
(the list of tickets assigned to the 1.35.0 milestone) a meaningful
report for this release.

That means establishing a 1.36.0 milestone, declaring the criteria for
including a ticket in 1.35.0, telling people that if they want an
exception they have to get you to okay it, and maybe making any
assignments of tickets to 1.35.0 and 1.36.0 that are obvious. Then we
all have a list of issues to focus on killing off and we don't need to
pester people as much.

If you would like me to take on some of these tasks, please ask me.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting