From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-05 19:27:21

> PH> Hi all, I was amazed about the huge interest in my
> threadpool lib in PH> the last week. :-) Currently, it
> looks like there's a strong demand PH> for having a thread
> pool included in boost. Anthony would like to add PH>
> futures and a pool to boost::thread. I think this is a very
> good idea PH> for two reasons. First, any boost thread pool
> should be based on PH> boost::thread. This means platform
> independence for free. It does not PH> make much sense to
> separate the libs because the threadpool part is PH> small
> and requires the boost::thread binaries anyway. Second, we
> PH> don't need a boost project setup for my lib. I guess it's
> much easier PH> to integrate with boost::threads than to
> prepare a stand-alone PH> library.
>
> PH> Please let me know your opinions.
>
> I think, that at first stage we'll need to has 2 options -
> one stand-alone library, ready to quick rollout together with
> current boost release (1.35 for example), and in parallel
> port it to include into boost distribution for a next release
> (1.36?) after review

First of all there needs to be a review before it can be included into the
Boost distribution.

Adjusting the lib to be compatible with Boost (is that what you mean by
'quick rollout together with boost release'?) is certainly something
completely independent and could be done by the author immediately.

Regards Hartmut