From: Hervé Brönnimann (hervebronnimann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-13 07:33:17

Jens: It is possible to specify r == 0 or r == n in the
combinations. Definitely. "a middle position in the input
range [first, last)" can refer to last, same as inserting at a
position in a vector can be begin(), end(), or anything in between.
Although it is not very interesting (only one combination in the case
r == n), it's not a reason to disallow it. The doc can point that
out in passing, though, so I'll add a note. Examples would also help.

The sentence you don't understand can be improved, and k should be
r. What can be sorted is: Permutations and combinations. i.e., the
(unsorted: for permutations, sorted: for combinations) subsequences
of length r. I'll work on a better sentence.

Examples are sorely needed, but I wanted to get Ben to start thinking
first. and save him time. Definitely examples would/should explain a
lot more. I'll be working on those too.

Thanks for your comments, let's work together to make this into a
solid proposal.
--HB