From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-17 20:02:27

on Sat Nov 17 2007, Joel de Guzman <joel-AT-boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>> The above are documented in the serialization library. Each one
>>> has its own page.
>>
>> Thanks, Robert.
>>
>> SVN updated.
>
> This is somewhat discomforting. Isn't there a policy for placing
> headers in the root boost directory?

There is a standard practice that was established by tradition and
consensus, but no written policy.

> Can anyone simply place whetever he/she wants there? The files above
> look like small utilities. As such, they are not fast track
> reviewed, AFAICT.

Unfortunately, the standard practice was not followed by everyone, and
although moderators have made explicit requests that these headers be
brought into conformance with that practice, our requests have been
ignored.

> That goes the same for the boost namespace. IMO, we need a clear
> policy on what goes there. Lest, we'll have it filled up and
> polluted with lotsa stuff before we know it.

Yes, well, now we have a precedent that violates what is, IMO, the
only reasonable policy. That makes it a little harder to make the
policy official. But anyway, I have a strong suspicion that you and I
substantially agree on that policy, so I would be very happy if you'd
write something up. Then we have something concrete to argue about
;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting