From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-17 21:45:20

Rene Rivera wrote:

> Ah, no... There are plenty of "free software" available without it being
> open-source. Say, like Sun Java was for a long time.

I'm talking of free software as defined by the free software foundation.
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html

See also the open-source software definition:
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

As you can see, the open-source definition is quite more restrictive,
and a license that complies with its terms automatically complies with
the terms of the aforementioned free software definition.

The fact that some compagnies claim their products are free software or
not is quite irrelevant to that.
I don't know about Java's case though.
I just know that the CDDL, the license Sun usually uses for its open
components, especially in Solaris, is a free and open-source license,
while incompatible with the GPL.
They probably need to use relicensing tricks (which they can do if they
own the copyright) to make Solaris and Java cohabit, by the way.