From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-29 20:23:43

This module is extremely trick and has much compiler dependent
code. I might be tempted to take a crack at it but without being able
to test it, I'm afraid I might create more problems than I fix. FWIW
I don't think the fix for the intel/win issue would be too hard, but
it would have to be tested in release build as well as debug build
as the offending code is required on some platforms to inhibit
the linker from stripping what otherwise would be considered
dead code.

A similar situation exists with the same tests failing with gcc 4.1+
Its even more problematic there as it fails at runtime and I think
it will take some serious sleuthing with the debugger to track
it down.

On the branch "serialization_next_release" I've got a version
which has a fair amount of changes in this area. These changes
were made in the course of making the serialization library
thread safe and serialization code linkable at runtime (DLLS).
The later in particular required a more thorough examination
of issues related to instantiation implied by export. So it seems
quite possible to me that this problem is already fixed in the
"next release" If someone wanted to test the serialization library
on this branch on the above platforms (gcc 4.1x and Intel/win 10.?)
 it might shed some light on the situation.