From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-30 12:10:09

Beman Dawes wrote:
> Until further notice, branches/release is open for known-good merges.
>
> "known-good" means changes that are already passing trunk regression
> tests, or are in files like documentation that have no effect on testing.
>
> Thus if you make a bug fix in trunk, wait a day or two before committing
> a merge of the fix to branches/release and look at the regression test
> results before you commit. Make sure in particularly the change doesn't
> break other libraries.

I should have explain the plan a bit more.

The idea is to leave branches/release open for (cautious) merges while
we reduce the failure rate to zero. That is, all failures on our high
priority platforms either fixed or marked up as expected failures.

Meanwhile, next week we'll shakedown the release generation scripts, and
look at other aspects of release quality. Doc issues, such integration
of the new web site material and broken links are a real concern.

As we get closer to a release, we will freeze code changes so developers
have to ask for individual permission to do merges. But we haven't
reached that point yet.

--Beman