From: Darren Garvey (darren.garvey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-10 11:24:04

On 10/12/2007, Phil Endecott <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Far from merging your library into something else, I encourage you to
> see how much you can break it up into smaller chunks and to make it
> compatible with, yet not dependent on, other libraries.
>

> Remember that there's also some GSoC CGI code pending.

Indeed there is! There's still a few months work left in it,
unfortunately... I think libpion takes a different approach than the CGI
library (there has been some recent discussion on the asio-users list about
this). I've been keeping in mind the cpp-netlib project too so hopefully
some form of protocol-independent basic_message<> class can be integrated to
any CGI library that gets into Boost.

It'd be ideal if a network building-blocks/utility library was accepted into
Boost, but at the same time there seems to be a lot of interest for
domain-specific libraries: like HTTP/IRC/CGI/etc. Hopefully these can all be
built on shared generic network utilities (that exist just-above Boost.Asio
).

As for which should come first, I have no idea. Either way, there is a lot
of overlap between CGI and HTTP, so there is a good chance quite a lot of
code can be shared between any two implementations. I hope so, anyway.

Regards,
Darren