From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-10 17:12:52

Michael Dickey wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2007, at 6:39 AM, Phil Endecott wrote:
>> Far from merging your library into something else, I encourage you to
>> see how much you can break it up into smaller chunks and to make it
>> compatible with, yet not dependent on, other libraries.
>
> It's definitely moving in that direction. For example, you can use
> the client-side part of the library without touching any server-side
> stuff, and you can even parse HTTP messages without any networking
> code. I agree with the approach of breaking pieces out and pushing
> them into a lower-level space like cpp-netlib over time.
>
> I guess a big question is, does _server-side_ functionality belong in
> Boost? I think for most cases, you're going to use an external
> packaged server to solve a problem.

I might have agreed with you a few years ago but recently I've come to
the conclusion that it's better to just implement an HTTP server. In
the past I have written CGI programs, which have the problem of
starting one process per request, and Apache modules, where I have used
Boost.Interprocess to store inter-request data. Just writing an HTTP
server is simpler and better, and you can get Apache features
(compression, encryption, authentication, etc. etc.) by using its
mod_proxy to forward requests to your separate server.

Phil.