From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-15 16:04:12

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> A number of failures for release branch testing of the conversion
>> library were the result of changes to trunk that were not also merged
>> into the release branch.
>>
>> Developers need to remember to merge changes into branches/release if
>> the changes are to go in the 1.35.0 release.
>>
>> To speed testing, I've now done that for the conversion library. But,
>> really, this is something individual developers need to take
>> responsibility for.
>
> I'm confused -- didn't you said some time ago that you've
> merged all libraries?

I merged all libraries as of revision number 41356. Any changes made to
the trunk after 41356 have to be merged into branches/release if they
are to go into 1.35.0.

If you check out branches/release, and then do a log, you can see that a
dozen or so developers have already merged changes.

> Assuming no, is there a web page somewhere with instructions
> how one should merge changes?

Nothing up to date. I'll try to write something, but don't know when
I'll get to it. In the meantime, here is what I do to merge filesystem
library changes:

I've already got https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release
checked out in directory "release"

(No line breaks in the actual commands)

cd release

svn merge --dry-run
  https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release/boost/filesystem
  https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/boost/filesystem@41517
  boost/filesystem

svn merge --dry-run
  https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release/libs/filesystem
  https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/filesystem@41517
  libs/filesystem

svn merge --dry-run
  https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release/boost/filesystem.hpp
  https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/boost/filesystem.hpp@41517
  boost/filesystem.hpp

(If @41517 is omitted, trunk HEAD will be used instead of a specific
revision)

If these work without problems, then do them again without the
"--dry-run" argument.

Inspect the results, and test locally. If everything is OK, then do a
regular svn commit to actually make the changes in the repository. If
there are problems, revert and start over again, fixing whatever went wrong.

HTH,

--Beman