From: Olaf van der Spek (olafvdspek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-18 12:33:32

On Dec 18, 2007 6:15 PM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Yes (IMO), the else clause.
> >
> >> If you have a userid on the Boost Trac server, please log in.
>
> How is the very next item not an else clause?
>
> "**Even if you don't have a userid**, visit the settings page to

To me, that would indicate 'anonymous' reports are allowed, not that
they're required (for users).
I'd still try to find a sign up page.

I'm still wondering, why can't users sign up? Other tracs allows this.
I guess the settings page uses cookies?
I'm sure I'll lose my cookie one day and forget to re-enter my email address.
Or enter a wrong email address.

> enter or confirm an email address at which you can be reached. Most
> bug reports require some interaction with the reporter, and if we
> can't follow up with you, chances are good that your efforts at
> reporting the bug will be wasted."
>
> > I'd add that 'userids' are only for developers.
>
> That's not strictly true, but doesn't http://svn.boost.org explain
> well enough?

Yes, if you read it. ;)
I've used other tracs and I didn't read the frontpage.
I wanted to login, and went searching for the register link.

Note that hiding menu items instead of disabling them is considered
bad UI design (IIRC).
I think this applies to links too.
A register link is expected.