From: Marcus Lindblom (macke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-18 07:46:48

Hi,

I haven't looked into it at detail, but I've followed the discussion on
the singleton's to be or no to be.

I think the singleton lib is good as a boost addition, because having
many different singleton implementations suck. I also think that boost
should encourage good code style.

Therefore, I vote for an implementation that both separates the concepts
provided (i.e. safe construction, uniqueness, global access & locking).
The lib should also provide some kind of unifying scheme, so that the
"classic-singleton" can be achieved by applying everything.

Also, I think some good motivational documentation on why the classic
singleton is not a scalable idea would be appropriate, so that we could
get users to think about the orthogonal concepts and whether they really
do need all concepts in one go. (Many of us have found out that we only
need a subset, after much pain....)

Cheers,
/Marcus