From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-24 03:42:49

Hi Avi,

Avi Revivo ha escrito:

> Hi All,
>
> A team in my development group is currently using a proprietary container
> with a functionality similar to the MultiIndexContainer except for an
> additional feature of using Memory Mapped File to store the container data.
> The proprietary container performance is poor with ot without using the
> mapped file. The memory mapped file feature is extermly important since the
> component must keep the entire state even if the system crushes.
>
> Inorder for them to use the Multi Index container they need some persistence
> feature. Serializing the container every 2 seconds or so is not possible
> since the container size will be too large (dozens of MB).
>
> Is there any solution or future plans to develop such a feature in the Multi
> Index Container and in other boost containers?

I'm extremely glad you asked this question :) because the Boost 1.35 version
of Boost.MultiIndex features full integration with Boost.Interprocess allocators,
thus making multi_index_containers placeable in memory mapped files. This
is shown in example 12 at the examples section of the docs:

http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release/libs/multi_index/doc/examples.html#example12

Boost 1.35 should be shipping real soon now. If your team decides to migrate
to B.MI, I'd love to know whether the process goes smooth.

Best,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo