From: Scott Woods (scott.suzuki_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-06 14:13:29

Hi John,

> As a side-note - you do know that if you truly want this: "After
> completion there were <3!unsigned int/matching_profile> leftovers",
> you'll need a macro somewhere, like:
>
> L_ << "After completion there were " << V_(macthing_profile) << "
> leftovers";

Yes. I used different macro names, same goals.

> However, there should be a quite different solution to your problem:
> - when logging, automatically log the filename & line (or at least some
> unique ID from which you can get them) . This is possible with the
> current version of the lib.

Yes. I limited the file+line tagging to debug messages. Considered for
technical support messages but ultimately rejected.

> - then, have a viewer that parses both a log, and the source code for
> each logged line. Then, it can match a certain logged message with the
> actual line of C++ code. It can then interpret it.

Or it can integrate with the IDE. There is a lot more potential hiding
under the encoding issue. Seamless navigation to source code line
is a simple example. A form of this is already achievable with your
current library (I believe), just route the debug messages to the MS
IDE and format the file+line information as that environment expects.
Highlight the debug message and a function key will then put you on
the spot. I'd assume that others have already wired that together.

I have recently been through the third iteration of a significant
logging development. One of the biggest things to emerge was the
value of a standard encoding. Another was the difficulty of selling
the idea ;-)

Cheers.