From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-07 08:47:39

John Maddock wrote:
> Without wanting to be too pedantic (!), do we have a policy about which
> toolsets are tested on the release branch? I'm asking because we currently
> have a large number of failures for the "stdcxx" (Apache std lib) tests.
> Whilst we certainly should be testing this on the trunk going forward, it's
> not previously been a required release platform, hence the large number of
> failures.

The policy is to test our *high priority* platforms only. (Note that we
agreed to use that term in preference to *required*, to avoid
prejudicial views of the other platforms.)

> There are also one set of results (for msvc-8.0-stdcxx-4.2.1) that appear to
> failing almost everything and isn't even compiling the "hello world"
> config_info program:
> http://beta.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/output/msvc-8-0-stdcxx-4-2-1-boost-bin-v2-status-config_info-test-msvc-8-0-debug-stdlib-stdcxx-4-2-1-threading-multi.html
>
> IMO this failure is made worse because the toolset used is simply called
> "msvc-8.0" so it shows up as a *required* platform, rather than a
> currently-unsupported one. Likewise the Sunpro and gcc tests with the
> apache std lib are simply called "gcc-4.2.1" and "sun".

I'm totally ignoring the results all of those stdcxx tests as far as the
release testing goes.

> Apologies to the test runner for the gripe: we really do need you and
> appreciate the effort! It's just that we also need to be able to clearly
> focus on what is and is not required for *this next release*.

Right. These tests are appropriate and useful for the trunk, but just
confuse people and get in the way for the release branch.

--Beman