From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-08 09:47:45

On Feb 8, 2008, at 8:13 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> I don't know. Much as I am reluctant to do so, I'm thinking I
>> probably
>> need to learn PHP to be effective with the new site.
>
> I'm very unhappy with that. Are we going to effectively require every
> Boost developer become proficient in PHP? That seems like a non-
> starter
> to me.

I think it's a non-issue, for several reasons. There isn't all that
much PHP on the new web site, so most web site updates will still be
good old HTML. Even in those parts that are PHP, most updates just
involve writing HTML, because PHP is just an HTML-generating superset
of HTML, and in unless there's a PHP control structure around it, the
HTML you write in PHP comes out as HTML on the other end. Plus, we're
getting big benefits from the PHP that we are using, e.g., an RSS feed
for news from which we generate the front-page "News" section without
any separate steps. That kind of benefit, which keeps several places
up-to-date when the same underlying data is changed, is worth a small
amount of initial effort to save much more effort in the long-run.

        - Doug