From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-09 12:42:32

Clark Sims wrote:
> Thank you to everybody who responded to my post. I used the solution
> sugested by several people who said I should use control objects,
> with the function wait. I posted the final version of my code.
> The purpose of the project is to create a thread manager which will
> let threads execute based upon the priority of that thread:
>
> http://acumenconsultinginc.net/TechNotes/cpp/PriorityThreadQueue/index.html

Hi Clark,

The operating system provides facilities for setting and changing the
priorities of threads. (Well, at least POSIX does; I presume that
Windows does too.) As I understand it, Boost.Threads doesn't provide a
mechanism to control these priorities. The thread class in C++0x will
provide a "native handle" that you could use; perhaps it should provide
a direct way to control the priorities, if there is sufficient
commonality between the platforms?

Anyway, I'm curious to know whether the functionality that your
priority queue implements could have been achieved using O.S.
facilities, if they had been accessible to you.

Phil.