From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-04 04:11:47

Matt Gruenke wrote:
> Phil Endecott wrote:
>
>> I'd like to offer something that's close to a drop-in replacement
>> for std::string that will let people painlessly upgrade their code to
>> proper character set support.
>>

> Something that might be worth a look is Glib::ustring, in glibmm-2.
>
> http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/glibmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/classGlib_1_1ustring.html

Thanks for the link; this is indeed the sort of thing that I have in
mind. Some observations:

- It doesn't seem to offer any complexity guarantees.

- It uses size_type to pass and return positions in the string, and
doesn't specify whether these are byte or character positions; I get
the impression that they're character positions but I could be wrong.

- It offers implicit conversion to and from std::string. Is this desirable?

Regards, Phil.