From: Barend (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-04 11:56:01

Christian Holmquist wrote:
> Something that I miss very much is library for
> multidimensional/spatial data structures.
> This is indeed a very broad subject, but there are (to my knowledge)
> no good libraries out there that can fill in the gap.
> Most (?) implementations of today live well integrated in larger
> systems, such as 3d rendering or physics simulation frameworks..
>
> 'Foundations of Multidimensional and Metric Data Structures' is a good
> book on the subject, and if some of these structures would be
> assembled in a modern c++ library I think it'd be useful
>
> regards,
> Christian

Good idea.

We're working on the Geometry Library including spatial data structures
and spatial algorithms. I gauged interest for Boost in January and there
was interest. It was published for preview and there were valuable
comments how to do it better and more generic. Those comments are being
applied now.

The library as it was published for preview was two-dimensional. Now it
is more generic, it is dimensionless and can be applied for xy-points,
latlong-points and also for example 3d-points, although we will only
implement the strategies for xy and (as much as possible) for latlong,
for the moment.

I will sent a new preview to the boost list (don't know exactly when)
but even if Boost will not accept the library, or not in the near
future, it will still be published and maintained as an Open Source
library. Besides the Geometry Library we will rework our current
projections into an accompanying Projection Library.

Some help would be welcome and the Summer of Code could be very helpful
for us.

Best regards, Barend

Barend Gehrels
Geodan Holding b.v.