From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-12 18:38:40

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Sebastian Redl
<sebastian.redl_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Michael Fawcett wrote:
> > I forgot to mention before that this is using VS 2005 as the compiler.
> > I'm pretty sure results for compilers with different exception
> > implementations would vary greatly.
> >
> I imagine that a Linux/GCC build would indeed show quite different
> results. Do you have the platform available, or a an easily
> compilable/runnable test case for someone else to run?

So I finally got it compiling and running under Cygwin/gcc. Here are
the results (averaged over 5 runs):

1280 x 1280

at_goal() - 23.45162 seconds
exception - 23.39538 seconds

128 x 128

at_goal() - 0.20304038 seconds
exception - 0.1919092 seconds

So exception beat at_goal() in both cases here, but the margins are
much smaller. I suspect that I wasn't compiling to gcc's fullest
optimization potential, but I did use -O3.

--Michael Fawcett