From: Detlef Wilkening (detlef_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-13 16:25:40

Hello,

here my review for Proto.

> > - What is your evaluation of the design?
Very good. It is noticeable, that Proto has get many feedback from
different projects like Spirit 2.

> > - What is your evaluation of the implementation?
I haven't look into the implementation.

> > - What is your evaluation of the documentation?

I would likt to see more introduction and easy examples. And - as part
of the introduction - what I can do with Proto. What are the advantages
of usind expression templates instead of normal operator overloading?
What can I do with Proto, which is not implementable with normal
language features? Examples for transformation of expression.

I think, Eric should write a book for people like me, who is not a
beginner of C++, but not a crack who makes the whole day metaprogramming.

> > - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

I think, it is very usefull, because with Proto I could implement little
helpfull utilities like Assign very easy. And it is possible to create
big DSELs like Spirit. But - I repeat myself - we need more beginner
documentation to see and use the capabilities of Proto using.

> > - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler?
> > Did you have any problems?

I work with the lib with MSV 2003, and I had no deep problems. Because
of my limited knowledge of the domain and Proto it was hard to interpret
the error messages.

> > - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance?
> > A quick reading? In-depth study?

I have read the whole documentation, but the second half only very fast.
I have compile and test some examples. And I have try to build some
little examples from scratch. In total I have spend 10 hours with Proto.

> > - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

I have start using Spirit some years ago. And I was enthusiastic about
the idea and the possibility of DSELs in C++. After that I tried two
times to develop my own little DSEL, but it was difficult for me to
understand and use expression templates. Therefore I fall back to normal
operator overloading. With Proto this ideas become a new and better
motivation.

> > Should Proto be accepted into Boost?

Yes - without any Restrictions.

Ciao