From: Paul Baxter (pauljbaxter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-16 17:38:09

Thanks Stjepan

> I hope this e-mail made things a bit clearer. If you still have
> questions please let me know - but also I'd love to hear about what
> your personal dataflow wishlist is, and what sorts of dataflow
> frameworks/scenarios you've worked with in the past (offline or
> here).

The email helped a lot.

The framework I designed was a generic fine-grained signal processing
'infrastructure' for sensor processing. Its premise was that future
controllers would want to adjust the processing such that the dataflow would
need to be re-wired on the fly.

I have previously tried to go from a compile-time solution to a run-time one
and found that I couldn't find an easy path for our requirements. My
solution had to focus on solving the difficult 'dynamic' problem and then
look for opportunities to simplify.

I'm still not entirely happy with how my solution ended up. Some sensor
applications really only want a largely static, basic 'chain' dataflow with
a couple of discrete bolt-on goodies activated by a command flag or two.

My approach can be overkill for such applications so I'm looking for 'a
better way'! I've been looking to your library to inspire me!

In essence I think at present we are coming at things from different ends of
the spectrum, both wishing to reach the other end at some point. I'll follow
and contribute as best I can.

Paul