From: Tarjei Knapstad (tarjei.knapstad_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-23 13:21:12

On 23/03/2008, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
> > 1.35.0 Release Candidate 2 (RC2) is available at
> > http://boost.cowic.de/rc/ RC2 fixes all of the serious issues reported
> > for RC1.
> >
> > Note that links to the web site from the RC appear to be broken because
> > the restructured web site will not go live until the actual release
> > ships. In the meantime, the new website content is available at
> > beta.boost.org.
> >
> > Please take the time to download RC2, and try to install it on your
> > system. Kick the tires, and report any problems or issues you discover.
> > Report by posting to either boost_at_[hidden] or
> > boost-users_at_lists.boost.org.
> >
> > For a list of known issues, see
> > http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/MergeOneDotThreeFiveDotZero.
>

> There have only been a few issues raised, and we are almost done
> clearing them. That made me realize I should have asked not just for
> trouble reports, but success reports too.
>
> So if you downloaded RC2, please post a reply indicating what you've
> done with it, even if no problems or issues were detected. That way I
> can better gauge release readiness.

Build was successful on my Fedora 8 laptop. Unit tests also ran
successfully after I cleared up some disk space :) Docs look fine upon
manual inspection, and make install seems to work fine (I haven't
checked if there are missing headers or anything like that).

Some minor comments:

* A complete build with unit tests took several hours on a Intel Core2
T7200 with 2GB ram and helped itself to a whopping 4.6GB of disk.
Maybe a note could be added to the 'check' target in the Makefile
stating that it will take a long time and requires approx 4.6 gigs of
disk? (I started 'make check' before leaving my apartment just to come
back later finding it had stopped halfway through because I'd ran out
of diskspace)

* Docs are not installed. I would expect the docs to appear under
$PREFIX/share/doc/boost-x.y/

* The headers are installed to $INCLUDEDIR/boost-1_35/boost, but I
expected $INCLUDEDIR/boost. Supposing this is meant to enable parallel
installs of different versions of boost I think this should be done
using the --prefix option to configure, not hardcoded in the Jamfiles.
(the static libraries and symlinks for the libs will be overwritten
anyway if you attempt to install two versions to the same prefix).

Other than that hings are looking good IMO, thanks for all your
efforts to bring us a new release Beman!

Regards,

--
Tarjei Knapstad