From: Stephen Nuchia (snuchia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-26 11:50:27

I am using boost in the build of a commercial software package using
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 as the primary build engine. We are
building for both 32- and 64-bit targets. There is no mention in the
"getting started" documents of how to build the libraries for different
bitnesses.

In the VS2008 world the build control files are parameterized with
macros, the relevant one of which is $(PlatformName) which has the value
"Win32" in 32-bit builds and "x64" in 64-bit builds. To permit
maximally "clean" configuration control in the client code tree, the
boost libs should live in directories with names based on this
convention.

I have manually created lib-Win32 and lib-x64 under the prior release
and am in the process of doing the same under RC2. The purpose of this
note is to suggest that there is probably a large audience of similarly
situated folks who could use at least a breadcrumb in the documentation
and, perhaps, some automation. The "installer" for windows should, in
my opinion, use the
ROOT_DIR/lib-$(PlatformName) convention as well.