From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-27 20:51:42

AMDG

Arash Partow wrote:
> Bruno Lalande wrote:
> > Indeed, things have to be clear on that point, and I'm a bit confused
> > about what really constitutes the concept of a point. What I have
> > understood until now is that a class is the point if it exposes:
> > * the value<>() getter and setter
> > * coordinate_type
> > * coordinate_count
>
> This is somewhat correct but might be an over-engineering of things to
> the point where it may be unuseable to a group of potential users
> (people that have large data sets that need things done efficiently).
>
> I have 10^9 x,y values as doubles give me the convex hull - can you
> imagine in the overhead if each of those pairs were to be converted to a
> point_concept/class/instance?

If you have containers of x, y values you don't
necessarily need to create a physical vector of
points. You can use a view of the x, y values
that has the same interface as a container of points,
but creates them on demand. Hopefully, the compiler
can optimize this into direct access.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe