From: Jonathan Biggar (jon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-03 18:28:44

Jonathan Biggar wrote:
> I've been working on a C++ CORBA implementation for a long time. I've
> considered making it open source in the past, but I hadn't seen the
> exact niche for it to fill.
>
> Now that Boost 1.35 is out, including ASIO and the new Threads
> implementation, I'm considering retargeting my implementation to only
> use boost libraries for underlying services.
>
> I'd be quite happy to contribute my implementation to boost, if there's
> enough interest for me to proceed.

So there appears to be some interest, and even more interest if it leads
to developing a new more modern C++ binding for CORBA. But having an
implementation of the current binding would be a huge start for that.

So on this basis, I plan to proceed. Here's my plan to boostify the ORB:

     1. Remove the dependency on ACE thread, sockets and event dispatch
         classes and replacing them with the equivalents from boost.

     2. Boostify the source code per the documented boost guidelines.
         This includes:

         a. Reorganizing the source directories
         b. changing header & source files to use boost standards for
             license, include paths, macros, etc
        c. making the project compile with bjam
        d. convert the tests to use the Boost test framework

     3. Convert/Write documentation in Boost "standard" format. Since
         this is an implementation of an OMG standard, the documentation
         will focus on details of the implementation that are outside the
         scope of the standard or are implementation defined.

Once I've done this, I'll release the source for informal examination
and feeback from the Boost community, with the eventual plan to make a
formal submission review request.

Once (speaking optimistically) the library is accepted as part of Boost,
we can work on a new C++ binding.

--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software