From: Bruno Lalande (bruno.lalande_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-05 05:40:22

> I'm interested in a more general approach to extend Boost.ProgramOptions
> with new parsers. Then you could add a CGI query parser while I could add
> a parser which reads configuration data from JSON files. Then however
> Boost.ProgramOptions would need to support something more sophisticated
> than key=value pairs. I'm not sure if this can be easily generalized?

Maybe an extension facility for ProgramOptions parsers could be made.
I don't know yet exactly how this part of the library is designed and
how easy it is to extend it. My approach would thus be to implement
what I've proposed by first merely making another whole parser. Then
I'll have a better sight and I can decide if we can go further towards
genericity and extension features. However, the extension
possibilities of the library are already at a good level due to its
separation into 3 parts: descriptions, parsing and storage. not sure
if the parsing parts really has to be even more generic...

As long as JSON has a hierarchical structure, wouldn't it be better
for you to use the future property_tree library?

Bruno